Page 58 "I enter the slaves' ger, cast off my deel, and tie a thick strip of muslin around what passes for my breasts."
- a lightweight, beach cover inspired by Jinghua's deel and a strip of gauze to represent the muslin she used to disguse herself as a boy.
Page 321 "He reaches into his sleeve pocket, pulls out a small portrait, and shows it to me. I take the portrait gingerly into my hands and study it. The girl staring back at me is lusciously beautiful."
- a custom-designed portrait of Turandokht.
Page 400 "He places a small, finely painted porcelain cup on its polished surface and fills it with steaming tea or rich wine. He sets out offerings of rice and cakes on a pretty saucer. And apples. Always apples."
- a Chinese style teacup and saucer.
Page 47 "...covered by a short wig of muddy brown hair and topped with a newsboy cap for good measure."
- a brown newsboy cap.
Page 110 "He unclasped the locket. It took every ounce of considerable self-control to hide his reaction to the portrait within. Dark-gold hair, a dimpled smile..."
- a custom locket with the portrait inside as described in the novel.
Page 204 "Jack elbowed a path through the cluster of boys and bent to pick up the object...when he stood, he held out a large rock, a piece of folded parchment tied to it with a string."
- a rock-shaped tealight holder with the folder note wrapped around it.
Page 313 "Olivia stepped up to Monks, dipped her hand into his pocket and extracted the key."
- a key-shaped keychain.
Page 46 "I expect to feel some aura in the scroll's presence, yet the air surrounding it remains dead...I push myself, reaching out again with the very ends of my fingertips. When they brush the scroll, I close my eyes. No magic comes forth."
- a custom designed replica scroll, created from an ancient Ethiopian text.
Page 174 "Though it's a risk, I release my left hand, catching the headdress before it evades my grip."
- a burnished gold and stone headdress
Page 430 ""Do not worry." I reach into Zelie's leather pack and pull out the sunstone."
- a faux leather, fringed bag with a sunstone shaped soap bar inside.
Page 36 "Mom reached over and adjusted the gauzy, decorative silver-and-black scarf she'd insisted on looping around Cas's neck this morning, then looked toward the road."
- a black-and-silver, gauzy scarf.
Page 180 "A wallet with money and pictures, a student ID card with a girl's smiling face beaming from it...Then Rashid pulled from her wallet the small, bent picture of her and two friends making stupid faces in a photo booth."
- a custom designed wallet, a student ID, a photograph.
Page 191 ""What the hell are you doing?" Z asked as she ripped a poster of the Eiffel Tower off a bulletin board and flipped it over."
- a poster of the Eiffel Tower.
Page 258 ""No, but I'm betting by her bracelet that she knows how to braid things," Frankie said. Diana looked down at her wrist as if surprised that he'd noticed the bracelet."
- a woven leather bracelet.
Page 27 "I lifed the cord around my neck, absently playing with the trinkets I'd collected over the years. Among them, the gears from my father's menagerie clock..."
- a multi-toned, statement necklace made out of clock gears.
Page 226 "I pinned my hair the way she used to, as a tear slid down my cheek."
- a set of two, steampunk-inspired, scissor-shaped hair clips.
Page 289 "In a gloved hand, Spector held a glass vial, glinting in the light."
- an antique looking vial, filled with vanilla bubble bath 'serum'.
Page 422 "I heard myself screaming, felt myself falling to my knees, and then, the crystal slipped through my fingers."
- a crystal pendant.
Page 90 "She jerked her head toward my pillow, where a thin envelope was resting."
- a custom designed, scientific pillowcase and a letter.
Page 132 "I twisted the bracelet around my wrist...it was translucent gray, with what appeared to be a tiny gold microchip embedded in the plastic."
- a gray bracelet step counter.
Page 201 "Someone had found a deck of cards in the living space - maybe forgotten about, maybe left there on purpose."
- a deck of custom designed playing cards.
Page 335 "I put Ganesh and the piano key in my PPK, along with the rest of my momentos from home."
- a custom designed NASA wrist pouch containing the contents of Cassandra's Personal Preference Kit which included a photo of her family, a scrap of paper with Beethoven's Sonata op. 106, her grandmother's Ganesh pendant and a piano key.
Page 33 "...we'd covered the fridge with favorite photos."
- a set of four small magnets and a photo as described in the novel.
Page 164 "On top was a hardback copy of Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises". It looked like another antique. The cover showed a woman in a one-shouldered dress, leaning back against a tree. I opened it noticing that the paper inside was yellowed, and there was handwriting on the title page."
- a custom designed book safe as described in the novel.
Page 184 "She was wearing red-and-white striped leg warmers under a pair of cargo shorts..."
- red-and-white striped leg warmers.
Page 274 "She pulled one of her little pewter cups from the velvet evening clutch."
- a small cup inside a blue, velvet clutch bag.
Page 22 "When the door opened and a page entered the room, holding a tray with a white card, Ceren nearly closed her eyes..."
- a pink leaf shaped tray with a white card from the book.
Page 130 "The new queen slumped into a chair, took a sip of the cold chamomile-and-lavender tea...and made a face."
- a packet of chamomile-and-lavender tea inside a silicone 'teacup' cupcake mold and recipe for a single serving cupcake, stuck in the back of the book.
Page 217 "Ceren grumbled, and Evelayn shook her head as she bent to put on her slippers."
- a pair of grey lace slipper-socks.
Page 257 ""I have something I need to give you." And then he pulled out the most beautiful ring Evelayn had ever seen."
- a gold-tone ring with a pink center stone and clear stones surrounding it.
Page 28 "They were my constant companion: a pair of little gold embroidery shears shaped like a stork."
- a pair of little gold embroidery shears shaped like a stork.
Page 143 "I reached up to rub Tyler's button, which I still wore on the string around my neck."
- custom made button necklace.
Page 196 "I dropped my backlae to the floor...and dug until I found my wallet. I pulled out Detective Johnson's business card..."
- a black and white backpack with a lime green wallet inside, with a custom printed business card in one of the pockets.
Page 250 "He went to his desk and retrieved a pair of gloves, sealed in a clear plastic bag."
- a pair of sealed black gloves.